Sunday, July 13, 2008

Observations From a Confirmed Road Warrior


Yep.  I travel a lot.

I am on the road for work or pleasure almost every week. Over the years I've come to realize that the old saying "many people come looking, looking, few see" has a lot of truth to it. As a country we are becoming a big strip mall. Restaurants in every town look the same, hotel chains look the same. Heck, I've even found myself getting up at night to look out the hotel window just to remind myself where I was.

So this little blog is dedicated to trying to discern and describe what is special about the places I go. It might be the fact that you can buy popcorn every night from a guy in a little shack in Geneva Illinois. Food is important to me. Especially food that is regional and real. It might be a discussion about the increasingly sad state of travel. At this point I don't really know what it will be.

My posts will have an attitude, deal with it. I am an architect and architect's tend to have a surplus of attitude. Put a room full of us together and no one comes out alive. We look at the built world pretty harshly. A building's materials, mass, color, and sustainability, we judge everything. My own buildings are almost all public. I design City Halls, 911 Centers, Courts, Police Stations, and Forensic Labs. Kind of a strange little niche, but it is what I do.  

My posts will also probably reflect the fact that I have moved around the country a lot. I've lived in every climate: moderate, mountain, desert, arctic, and tropical.    

Hopefully, these little postings will be of interest to someone out there.

Thank you for joining me on life's journey!


Roadboys Travels © 2008

No comments: