Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Here's to 2012!

Another New Year Begins


Every new year ushers in many traditions.

In mid September one of my colleague's used to stop eating at restaurants, going to movies, and participating in virtually anything that was fiscally discretionary. His goal was to assure that he'd begin each new year debt free.

It seems like everyone has made a New Years diet or fitness resolution at least once in their life. Those are frequently found decomposing in life's dumpster a week or two later.

Until this very post only close friends and family knew that I use New Years Day to update a life "timeline". It is (geekily) maintained in Microsoft Excel. It suggests (anticipates) various future key milestones in my life. 

Year in and year out graduations, professional goals, and all my major travel aspirations are faithfully entered in the timeline. I also take time to cherish past achievements (such as a family trips all over the globe.)

In the past few years, a number of the milestone's have rearranged themselves. Some milestone's are adjusted by God - like when a baby is born or a loved one passes away. Many of my anticipated milestones ended due to divorce. Yet, like any systemic change, one abrupt ending tends to open doors to something new.

So as I look at my timeline, I see a placeholder for a future 6 month sabbatical to live in Guadalajara. Note I say "live" in Mexico, not merely "visit" it. I want to bask in its cuisine, explore its architecture, enjoy its climate, and immerse myself in Spanish.

As I get older the cynical might deem my timeline a "bucket list" or worse yet, my own personal doomsday clock. But they are simply sad twits. 

I know that when I memorialize a goal it is the first step to making it real.

It is sort of like the Childrens's book Oh The Places We Can Go! Please click that title by the way and be prepared for an amazing excursion. It will take you to many of the places I plan to go! Of course then click your back button and come right back here!

This year some of my milestone's moved around a bit. But there is still a slot for Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Iguaszu Falls, Chile and Patagonia. Carnival in Rio. Explorations of Knossos and Santorini are in there. Pompeii is there too, as is the return to Barcelona and a visit to Lisbon. A trip to England during Wimbledon has become very important to me.

A rail voyage on the Royal Scotsman is on the list. A trip from the rainforest treetops to the beaches of Costa Rica is there too.

Oh, and I plan to return to Hong Kong after a quarter century. Then there is Egypt's pyramids, the marvel of Petra, and the holy land.

A few years back I was gifted with the book "A Thousand Things to Do Before You Die". Sometimes I don't know where to start. But I do know better than to ever treat my goals and milestones carelessly. 

And, of course, you are welcome to join me on my journey. Life is, after all, a series of single first steps.

May 2012 be a year when you make your own dreams come true.


Roadboy's Travels © 2012

1 comment:

IniquitousFish said...

A fitting start to a New Year.
^_^