Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Travel Like A Pilot

The Case for Quality

I travel almost every week and to say I'm hard on luggage is an understatement. I've shared travels with Samsonite, Delsey, TravelPro, Hartmann, Olympia, Skyway, Victorinox, Tumi and Briggs & Reilly.

But lately I have grown frustrated at what I perceive is a general decline in quality in the "premium" end of the luggage spectrum.

All the manufacturers are pitching four-wheel "spinner" cases. While convenient, most have truly crap wheels.

And don't get me started on the abysmal quality of telescopic handles and zippers.

While quality goes down, the prices go up. So most road warriors I know choose one of two strategies:

1. Buy luggage with a great warranty (i.e. Briggs & Reilly)
Or 
2. Consider luggage disposable (to hell with landfills) and replace it annually at Marshalls

My philosophy has always been buy quality and let my favorite luggage repair refurbish them every couple of years - new wheels, fix the handle etc.
    
Last week, however, I had an unfortunate, if very memorable, luggage event involving an escalator in Vancouver Canada. It resulted in the permanent demise of my beloved Tumi / Ducati suiter. 

So, as I considered my options, it occurred to me the luggage many pilots use appears pretty rugged. They have have high impact sidewall edge liners, use single piece aluminum slide handles (instead of the usual telescopic ones), fit perfectly in overheads, have hooks made of metal and military grade zippers.  

 The Pilot Suiter

So here's the deal. I now know anyone is welcome to shop at crew supply outfitters and order pilot bags. And, IMHO, when quality is factored in, prices are a bargain.

Solid Rubber Grip Handles

One Piece Slide Handles

High Impact Sidewall Liners
and Lots of Custom Pouches

Yep, Roadboy now has a 22" "Stealth" expandable suiter made by LuggageWorks. It was assembled in Missouri :-) and is clearly built to last a lifetime.

Even when Roadboy is on the other end of the handle.


Roadboys Travels © 2019

2 comments:

beachdaddy said...

Good to know ... Wish we'd known this last year on the big trip!! We ended up with one of the most common brands from a department store... I'm not holding my breath for it's longevity!!

Best backpack for travel said...

When you pack for your trips, the majority of the items packed is usually what you would wear, if you can pack less clothing, you will save a lot of space in your luggage.