Saturday, March 7, 2020

Alaska Airlines Coronavirus Fail

Alaska Air Decides to Screw EmeraldCon Passengers

Update: 3-10-20

This morning the "Big Three" carriers (Delta, American and United) all announced they would relax the "buy" dates and offer flight credit to any passenger regardless of when they purchased their flights.

And, later in the day, Alaska finally did too.  My daughter now has flight credit for the trip. 

That said, I'm leaving the post up as a reminder of thier misstep despite being pleased to readily acknowledge that they did eventually do the right thing!  

I have hopes that the Alaska Airlines I have loved for years will lead next time instead of follow. 


Suddenly this otherwise long time fan of Alaska Air is wondering when that smiling Eskimo started to sneer at passengers. 

Last week I watched my sequential artist daughter's slow motion travel disaster. Much of her livelihood involves traveling to various "Cons" to sell her books and take commissions from fans. And, one of her favorite cons has historically included EmeraldCon in Seattle. Every year she travels with her friends, shares hotel rooms and explores Seattle's foodie scene.

Early last week the word went out many publishers were cancelling out on Emerald. Then the City of Seattle announced it was contemplating cancelling festivals and conventions. 

Finally promoters of EmeraldCon opted to pull the plug.

This left it's talent stuck trying to change plans and recover the investments they made to attend. 

EmeraldCon is refunding exhibitor fees and hotels are allowing cancellations and refunds. 

But when my daughter contacted Alaska Airlines (whose website currently is currently advertising a flexible cancellation policy for all new reservations), she was given two options: fly to Seattle (for no reason) or eat the ticket. 

No refunds, no cancellations, no credits for anyone unlucky enough to hold past reservations.

Goodbye. 

When she relayed Alaska's treatment I was in disbelief. That seemed just so inconsistent with the Alaska I have flown for nearly four decades (heck my daughter was born in the state whose name the airline shares).

I fly somewhere almost every week and I typically include Alaska in my travel plans (in fact I was considering a flight on its new NS PHX to SFO service). Guess Roadboy will be flying with other airlines.


Roadboy's Travels © 2020

No comments: