Monday, April 25, 2022

Off To Greece!

 Whats With Everyone Going Greece?

Years ago a friend I have known since childhood who has traveled to Greece many times and I vowed that "someday" we'd take a trip there together. After planning for a couple of years, and waiting out a global pandemic, we are now set to depart for our three week journey this Friday!

Happily, circumstances even aligned such that my daughter can join us as well.

Leg One - London

US to London on AA's new non-stop service from Phoenix to LHR (Heathrow). London is a favorite movable feast I return to every chance I get. 

After a little jet lag recovery, we'll check out the 1/2 price ticket kiosk and see a west-end show. I'll make a run through my beloved V&A and (thanks to my daughter) enjoy tea at Sketch! 

Leg Two - Athens

A return to LHR for flights on to ATH (Athens).

I've never been to Athens, so I'm really excited to see the acropolis and its new museum. We have food related walking tours and dinner reservations to fill our time there before we start island hopping.

Leg Three - Santorini

A flight will bring us to Santorini to enjoy its iconic hill clinging cave architecture and celebrate my big 66th (birthday). Then its off to catch a ferry to Crete.

Leg Four - Crete

We'll catch a ferry to Crete. On Crete we have an AirBNB close to the beach. We also have museums, the Palace of Knossos (Ms. Ward from Skyline High would be proud), a bike tour, pink sand beaches, and a host of other activities in our sights.

Leg Five - Athens

We'll return to Athens and see whatever we decide we missed and maybe take a day trip to Hydra or a drive to Kalamata.

Leg Six - Home

Then it is 😢 back home.

Here's the ironic part. For the past few weeks whenever I've mentioned this trip to anyone, a seemingly endless number of people have replied "Really? We are going to Greece this summer too".

Maybe its just the new car phenomenon - after you buy a car every other car on the road is suddenly the same as yours? 

Whatever.

Roadboy is on the loose.

 

Roadboy's Travels © 2022

No comments: