Friday, June 23, 2023

Roadboy Returns to Vancouver BC

Hurts to say it but.....

parts of one of my favorite cities in North America (Vancouver BC) are showing some stress.

As many of Roadboy's readers know Vancouver holds many fond memories for me. My first visit here was at age 6 years as part of a family visit to Seattle's Century 21 Worlds Fair in (gasp) 1962. That trip made a huge impression on me (changed my life?) ultimately cementing a desire to start my architectural career in Seattle.  

During that first trip we turned North and made a side trip to Vancouver where I found a vibrant city nestled between water and mountains, filled with amazing parks, and immaculately clean.

Subsequent trips included a slightly buzzed college trip (where upon knocking on the side door to Arthur Erickson's architectural office at midnight, we found a full studio of obsessed, hygiene impaired, chain smoking, young designers working on a huge cardboard model of Vancouver's future Robson Square). 

The next trips were for North America's last Worlds Fair (Expo 86), then a few years later to begin an Alaskan cruise with my family from Vancouver's new cruise terminal (Canada Place from Expo.) Still later we came to see editions of HSBC's (formerly annual) multi-day Festival of Light pyrotechnical extravaganza. 

This trip I arrived to chill a few days prior to taking a seaplane to Victoria to participate in a week long cycling vacation on Vancouver Island.

After so many visits I've been smitten by Vancouver's diversity, sense of history, commitment to compact housing, and steadfast, correct, and righteous objection to being sliced up by freeways (like Portland and Seattle.)

Arrival was efficient. After endless years of collecting a departure tax from residents, Vancouver has a wonderful Airport filled with dazzling art. From the airport I rode the SkyTrain (also a legacy begun during Expo 86). 

 Raven Greeting International Arrivals to Vancouver Airport (YVR)

Then things went wonky. 

The walk from the Yaletown Roundhouse Station to my AirBNB on Hornby had me dodging homeless encampments, litter, and drug paraphernalia. A lot of empty retail shops and for lease signs in evidence.

And, with sidewalks becoming a permanent home to drug addicts and the mentally ill, Vancouver's streets are shared by emergency response vehicles running lights and sirens and some fine ultra luxury cars, windows tightly rolled up, transporting their occupants to homes somewhere else.

The rampant "have / have not" class warfare of most major American cities is in evidence in Vancouver.

Upon arrival at my AirBNB, I found out I'd been scammed by a certain scumbag named Andrew Chen who was supposed to be my AirBNB "host". Apparently he sold his property a few months ago and failed to cancel his bookings. 

After using AirBNB with success for many years I now have my own horror story to add to those of others. I just never expected it would happen in a place I associate with integrity.

After spending about three hours with AirBNB reps (who could not find any trace of Andrew or any comparable booking for less than 4 times the price), I was able to convince them to refund my money. Sadly, they told me that there were numerous future bookings for Andrew and gave no evidence they'd be notifying his future victims. 

Ironically, the refund arrived saying "Andrew had to cancel". I guess that's AirBNB spin for enabling fraudulent hosts?

Luckily, I have lots of points with various hotels chains. And, with hotel room rates (for the few available rooms here in summer) running between a breathtaking $460 and $1789 a night (I am not making that up) I opted to cash in some precious points.

A long walk to the hotel lowered my blood pressure. And, after settling into my very nice Delta hotel, I found a perfect little Asian storefront eatery across the street to enjoy some Donburi.  

Lesson learned: book only from Super Hosts.

Deep cleansing breath. 

The real trip starts tomorrow.

 

Roadboy's Travels © 2023

No comments: