Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Roadboy Returns to the MFA

A Rainy Day Art Detour

When architects talk about certain art museums their eyes roll up in their heads as they mentally drift off to that special place where the world is the best it can be.

For me one of the best museums in the world is Madrid's Museo del Prado. Not only does it feature some of the worlds best art, it provides written explanations that feel like Sister Wendy is whispering in my ear.  

No explanations given youngsters, google Sister Wendy.

Once in awhile art just stops me in my tracks. An example in the Prado is a painting by Joaquin Sorolla (coincidentally a contemporary of John Singer Sargent) entitled "And They Still Say Fish is Expensive!" The power and composition of the piece drew me from across the room to its compelling visual portrayal of two old fishermen tending to an injured young man. Then as I read its description, fully understanding what I was seeing, my eyes began to fill with tears at the portrayal of the old men grieving over a young life needlessly cut short. 

Such is the power of a timeless masterwork. More than a century after Sorolla painted it, it still powerfully touches souls.

And They Still Say Fish is Expensive!
(Joaquin Sorolla 1894 - Photo: Museo Del Prado) 

In North America I experience those same "Prado" feelings when I explore places like The Smithsonian's Portrait Gallery, Chicago's Art Institute, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Getty, Philadelphia's Art Museum and Boston's magnificent Museum of Fine Art (known affectionately by locals simply as the "MFA").

My original intent for the second day in Boston was to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, but that was not to be. Upon arrival we got waived off as the museum was sold out (note to self next time - get tickets in advance online!). You have to love a City where an art museum sells out!

Luckily, Boston's MFA is a short walk away and there we were welcome to buy tickets and enter. This was a second visit to the MFA for me and between the two visits I've yet to scratch the surface of the MFA.


Arrival the MFA

Much like the visit to the BPL yesterday, the MFA building presents every visitor from pauper to king with a majestic entrance leading to stairs crowned by an extraordinarily beautiful dome. 


On this visit my goal was to explore the MFA galleries that have been updated since my last visit and emphasize American art. Here are a few items that caught my eye during this visit.


The "Shelter in Place" Gallery

Stuck with no galleries available Boston Artist Eben Haines made this gallery available. He then issued  a call over social media soliciting artists to prepare exhibitions for it. The result was over 100 exhibits from artists around the globe. 

But....this is a little trickster. The gallery is actually a 1" = 1' scale model of a gallery and the artworks displayed inside are tiny. 

Think little Covid Thorne Miniature.


Views Into The MFA's Restorations Labs

A museum of this stature not only displays art it preserves it for future generations. This restoration lab was open to view the restoration of Asian antiquities. 

Head of Medusa
(Arnold Böcklin 1894)

Knowing that this mask of Medusa had stopped me on an earlier visit and did so again, I veered overto read about it. 
 
And, reading about it made me understand that the Medusa's stare is the point. Medusa's gaze upon men was said to hold the mythical power to turn them into stone. Sorta had that momentary affect on me. 
 
The story concludes that Perseus held up a his reflective shield to her and beheaded the snake haired monster.  

 Up in the Sky #1
(Tracey Moffatt 1997)

This image is not a painting. The artist says it is "making" a picture rather than "taking" a picture. The viewer is left to project the story of the image with an aboriginal baby held by a white woman as menacing nuns approach. A statement about Australia's forced separation policies and assimilationist policies.
 
With the recent news of mass graves at Indian schools in Canada and after living in Arizona and Alaska where native children were separated from families at age 12 to attend boarding (indoctrination) "schools", this one hit me full force. Every time I drive Phoenix' "Indian School Boulevard" this image will haunt me.

Ready to Breathe Life

I close with this sculpture. More than a sculpture, the young woman appears as it she could spring free of the bonds of stone and come to life at any time. I admit to being a huge fan of this type of work. An affection based on seeing Bernini's sculptures at the Villa Borghese. 

Anyway, this sculpture was just lovely.

 

Roadboy's Travels © 2021

No comments: