Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Time for Miracles

Chilly Nights, Bright Lights and Timeless Expressions of Love

Roadboy is about two thirds the way through an extended trip. The first part of my journey was Chicagoland. Brrrrrrr! 

Now I find myself in lovely Richmond Virginia. Yes, I've gotten to explore some new restaurants - more about that later.

Next week I finish up in Northern VA.

Traveling this time of year is both a burden and a joy. Yes, it gets crowded. Yes, we have to de-ice planes. Yes, we all have to wear a ton of clothes. But, in my heart of hearts, I know it is all worth it. 

You see, I happen to love Christmas. 


Oh, The lights!

I love the lights. I love the music (although I could live without ever hearing that barking dogs thing again.) I love the smells (especially the bubbling of Miss M's holiday caramels!) I love the dazzling profusion of reds and greens. 

But, most of all, I cherish how this season brings families (no matter how you define that word) together.

The hotels I have visited this trip have all been full of multi-generational guests, not just the usual road warriors.  This morning as I emerged from my room a lovely "grandma talks with her 2-year old grandaughter" moment was happening in the hallway. It was a scene of tenderness traveling in two directions. It brought it all home.

You see Christmas is not about gifts (really, I'm fine with another pig, duck, or musk ox in my name from Heifer International). It is the celebration of the miracle of God's amazing gift to humanity.

I can live with that. 

Slow down, remember to tell those around you that you love them, and enjoy the season of Christmas!

Merry Christmas from Roadboy!

Roadboy's Travel's © 2010


No comments: