Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Roadboy's Scandinavia

Getting There - Smooth Sailing Mostly


For me half the fun of travel is the planning and building anticipation for the journey itself. Knowing the trip will enable meeting new people, tasting new foods and experiencing new culture is kind of cool.

Of course, there are the unexpected things too.

Well my journey today (yesterday) began with one of those. The easiest leg of my flights should have been my first flight from Phoenix to Denver (where I'd catch my British Airways flight to London).  

But, weather at Denver resulted in our American Airlines pilot having to circle Denver. And all that circling burned up too much fuel. So we had to land and refuel in Pueblo Colorado. Of course Pueblo doesn't serve commercial aviation so we had to sit on the runway to await the news that we could fly the remaining 20 minutes to Denver.

For once I was very glad I had a very long layover planned for this flight!

And, as soon we got to Denver and I boarded BA's 747 I quickly got comfy in my little pod in the "attic".  I appreciate the quiet business class pods in the upper level of BA's 747's. 

I have to say I still love flying on 747's. They are kind of magical to me. These 4-engine whales of the air were the first "jumbo" jets, beginning service when I was still in junior high school. 

Once in my pod I ate well, worked a bit and slept very well.

Life in the Bubble Top 

My 747 At Heathrow 
(my window was the one just above the "d" in "One World") 

Upon landing in Copenhagen it was a quick trip through passport control and on to a smooth as silk $8 commuter train ride from the airport to Copenhagen's lovely old Central Station (located right across the street from Tivoli).  That is what multi-modal transport is all about.  Old and new seamlessly working together.

Arriving at Copenhagen's Gorgeous Central Station 
(with its glorious exposed wood structure) 

After unpacking I decided to take a walk and immediately noticed that there were few cars in the central city but tons of bicycles. And (just like Amsterdam) the bikes have separate drive lanes.  

Just awesome. 

They also have these simple rails installed on public stairs that allow you to roll a bike or scooter effortlessly up and down. 

 Everyone Cycles Here
(note the thoughtful wheel rail installed on every public set of pedestrian stairs)

My walk allowed me to peek into "Tivoli" which I assumed would be overrun with visitors on a summer evening. But it wasn't crowded at all.

Tivoli Gardens 
(Operating since 1843, Walt Disney is said to have found inspiration from Tivoli) 

And just to the side of the Danish Architecture Center I came upon a shimmering new pedestrian bridge under construction. In a city that I found to be illuminated dimly, this bridge just sparkles. 

 
A Striking New Pedestrian Bridge Under Construction
(The "Lille Langebro" pedestrian bridge will open a year late - a section was damaged in Rotterdam)

Well I've stayed up as long as I can. It is officially the end of Day One and it is time for bed. Lets see if Roadboy can beat the jet lag gremlin in just one day!


Roadboy's Travels © 2019

No comments: